Sleep gives us the energy we need for the day ahead. Children from 5 to 10 years need between 10 and 11 hours of sleep each night. Teenagers from 11 to 17 years old need between 8.5 and 9.5 hours.
Tips for better sleep:
- It is important to have a sleep routine. Try not to change the time you go to sleep during the week.
- Avoid drinks such as coffee, tea or energy drinks before bedtime – you will find it harder to get to sleep.
- Don’t eat too much before bedtime. It delays sleep.
- Avoid screens just before you go to sleep, for example, tablet, TV or mobile phone.
- The room should be dark and quiet to help you fall asleep.
- Exercise during the day will help you sleep better at night.
- If you have not slept well during the night, try to take a 30-minute nap during the day.