- Hungary’s capital city, Budapest, is a “new” city: it was founded in 1873, when the cities of Buda, Pest and Óbuda were united. You understood correctly: Budapest is 3 cities in one!
- Budapest has the largest number of hot springs in the world.
- Hungary’s Lake Balaton is the largest lake in Central Europe. It is very popular and many people enjoy its beaches in the summer.
- Hungarians are great inventors. They invented many things, including the Rubik’s cube and the ballpoint pen.
- Hungary does not use the euro. Its national currency is the forint. The name comes from the Italian city of Florence, where small golden coins called fiorini were made.
- Hungary’s official language is Hungarian, but it does not resemble any of the languages of its neighbouring countries. It has the same root as Finnish.