GLUTEN-FREE DIET// COELIAC SPORTSMEN AND WOMEN
Some people have a disease called coeliac disease. This means that they cannot eat foods that contain gluten.
What is gluten?
- Gluten is found in some cereals such as wheat, spelt, barley, rye and oats.
How do I know if I am intolerant to gluten?
- It is important to talk to an expert if you think you are intolerant to gluten.
- People who are intolerant to gluten experience tummy ache, weight loss and frequent diarrhoea when they eat something with gluten in.
- Do not change your diet before speaking to a professional. There are lots of reasons why you may have these symptoms.
What is a gluten-free diet?
- Coeliacs (or people intolerant to gluten) can lead a normal life, they just have to follow a gluten-free diet.
- People on a gluten-free diet can eat natural foods such as vegetables, legumes, fish, meat, milk, eggs or fruit. There is no gluten in rice or corn.
Can coeliacs do sport?
– Yes! Serbian Novak Djokovic is one of the best tennis players in the world and he is coeliac.