A balanced diet means eating a wide variety of foods.
- Bread, whole grains and pasta are foods we can eat every day.
- Try not to eat processed foods, such as cookies more than once a week.
Fruits and vegetables
- Try to eat 3 pieces of fruit and 2 portions of vegetables every day. It’s easy to have one piece of fruit at breakfast, one at lunch and one for an afternoon snack. Eat the vegetables at lunch and dinner.
Eggs and dairy products
- Try to eat 3 to 5 eggs each week. People with cholesterol problems should eat only 2 or 3 eggs each week.
- Dairy products are made from milk, such as yogurt.
Fish and seafood
- Include white fish, such as sole or hake, and oily fish, such as fresh tuna or sardines.
- Canned fish, for example, canned tuna, can be eaten 2 to 3 times a week.
- Eating fried fish is not recommended for a balanced diet.
Meat and poultry
- Chicken and turkey are recommended for our diet. But try not to eat more than 2 to 3 times each week.