- Austria, located in Central Europe, shares a border with 7 countries.
- It is a very musical country – most Austrian children learn to play an instrument.
- Its capital, Vienna, has the oldest zoo in the world.
- The official language is German but there are many dialects.
- Austria’s flag is a white stripe on a red background. In 1191, Duke Leopold V fought a battle wearing a white robe with a belt. By the end of the battle his robe was spattered with blood and when he took off the belt, just a white stripe remained. This was the inspiration for the Austrian flag!
- Schnitzel is the most famous food in Austria. It is a thin piece of meat coated in egg and breadcrumbs.
- 62% of Austria is covered by the great snowy mountains of the Austrian Alps.